My daughter is in Kindergarten this year and has been working hard on reading the Kindergarten sight word list. Some of the sight words that she had learned last year were not coming back to her as easy as I'd hoped. So, it was time to ditch the flashcards and get creative! Here are 5 fun ways that we practice sight words at home:
1. Passwords: Write sight words on post it notes. Hang on every door in the house. Before your child can open the door, they must say the sight word!
2. Chalkboard: We have a chalkboard centrally located in our kitchen. It is used for fun notes and reminders. By writing the sie words on this chalkboard, it became a whole family affair. We read them while at dinner and everyone gets into the fun!
3. Bathroom Mirror: Practicing sight words while brushing your teeth? Why not? I wrote our sight words on the mirror in the kid's bathroom with window crayons (you could also use dry-erase markers).
4. Under the Pillow Suprise: Every couple of nights, place a sight word written on an index card under your child's pillow. Before bed, have them check for thier surprise sight word and read it!
5. Sight Word Money: When I found this sight word money from The Moffatt Girls, I knew my daughter would love it. I test my kiddo on her sight words and if there is 1 or 2 I feel she has mastered she earns that sight word dollar. It has worked great and those paper dollars will translate to real dollars to get something special at the store!
Do you have any creative ways to help kids learn sight words? Please share! I could always use more ideas!