Activities and ideas for a Farm Theme in your preschool, pre-k or kindergarten classroom:
Literacy FARM Themed Preschool Activities
- Sequence fun farm stories like 'Mrs. Wishy Washy Farm' or 'Rosie's Walk' (links at the end of this post).
- Hide toy farm animals inside a toy barn. Give the class clues as to what animal is inside by using this format: It starts /beginning sound/ and rhymes with /rhyming word/. For example: It starts /p/ and rhymes with wig - it's a pig!
- Sort animals that live on a farm and animals that live in the zoo.
- Read 'Mrs. Wishy Washy's Farm', then create an animal wash station. Fill three buckets with mud, soapy water and clear water. Give students plastic toy farm animals, scrub brushes and towels to dry.
art farm themed preschool activities
- Paint with plastic farm animals. What 'footprints' are made?
- Make tractor track art by rolling a toy tractor in brown paint and paint on a large piece of paper.
- Farm collage with animals cut from magazines.
- Gather straw or hay in a bundle, put a rubber band around it to make a handle. Paint with the hay paintbrush onto paper.
math farm themed preschool activities
- Sort and pattern small toy farm animals.
- Count small toy farm animals onto farm numeral mats (photo below)
- Create a class graph representing the classes favorite farm animal.
- Use a balance scale to see which plastic farm animals are the heaviest.
- Play a farm cover up game by creating a gameboard up to 6. Students take turns rolling the die. Cover the numeral rolled with a farm animal. See photo below:
farm themed sensory tub
Create a fun sensory bin ready for little working hands by combining oats, small farm animals and toy tractors. Add scoops, ice cube trays, funnels and measuring cups for added fun!