Activities and ideas for a Pumpkin and Apple Theme in your preschool, pre-k or kindergarten classroom:
Literacy pumpkin and apple Themed Preschool Activities
- Read the story '10 Apples Up on Top' (link below) and see how many beanbag 'apples' each student can balance on top of their head.
- Sequence the life cycles of a pumpkin and apple after reading non-fiction books like: 'Apples for Everyone' and 'Seed, Sprout, Pumpkin, Pie'.
- Open up a pumpkin and apple. Talk about what is seen on the insides of both of these fruits. Compare how they are alike and different.
- Provide students with child hammers and golf tees to hammer into the side of a pumpkin. Add a alphabet component by writing letters on the pumpkin and have children hammer certain letters.
art apple and pumpkin themed preschool activities
- Add pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon to orange paint to create pumpkin pie scented paint.
- Cut apples in half to use as stamps. Dip the apples in paint and stamp on paper.
- Create playdough apples and pumpkins by rolling dough and adding a stem.
- Use a dry-erase marker to draw on the outside of a real pumpkin - erase with a baby wipe.
- Pull pumpkin seeds out of the pumpkin, clean and let dry. Paint the pumpkin seeds and glue to paper to make a mosaic.
math pumpkin and apple themed preschool activities
- Sort apples (or pom pom balls) by color - red, yellow and green.
- Create an Apple Tasting Testing Graph after tasting three colors of apples.
- Count acorns to practice 1-1 correspondence.
- Make crockpot applesauce and have students help by measuring the ingredients.
- Buy a package of pumpkin table scatter with different colors (small plastic pumpkins - found at craft stores) and practice sorting and patterning with the pumpkins.
pumpkin science experiment
For this experiment gather: 4 clear cups, water, rubbing alcohol, vinegar, dish soap and candy pumpkins. Fill the four cups with the four liquids: soapy water, plain water, vinegar and rubbing alcohol. Talk about each of the liquids and what we use them for. Place several candy pumpkins in each cup. Talk as a class about what might happen if the candy sits in the cups for a while. Make predictions and come back and check your predications!
apple themed sensory tub
Create this apple sensory bin by combining dry oats, dry green lentils and fake apples. Add scoops, measuring cups, funnels and bowls to enhance play.